Hi, everybody knows about the existence of social media, whether it be on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or a host of other platforms. But how can it help you with your new business? The answer is social media marketing. Here I am going to show you how to use social media in marketing.
What is Social Media Marketing?
Social media marketing (SMM) is a type of internet marketing that involves creating posts, blogs, images and video’s that drives an audience to your website or blog page to achieve marketing or branding goals. This is purely to promote and achieve sales.
Not only can you just post your blogs etc but companies like Facebook and Twitter also offer the opportunity to pay for advertising. This is known as paid social media advertising. If you are not using social media for advertising you could be missing out on a vast amount of traffic to your website. I think these figures speak for themselves:
- Facebook has 1.5 Billion daily active users and 2.3 monthly active users. They are also the second biggest platform for video’s after YouTube.
- Instagram has 1 Billion monthly active users. 73% of teenagers use Instagram !!! So if your brand is aimed at teenagers, Instagram is the way forward.
- LinkedIn has 260 million monthly active users.
So as you can see, that is quite some numbers.
How Do You Start?
First and foremost you need to COME UP WITH A PLAN.
You need to ask yourself the following questions, these will point you in the right direction for starting your marketing campaign.
- Who is your target audience ? Your marketing plan will be completely different if you are trying to sell shirts to teenagers, than if you are selling plants to over 60’s.
- What are you trying to achieve through social media marketing? Are you trying to get people to visit your website and comment to build a relationship, or are you trying to sell directly?
- What is the social situation of your audience? Which forums will they be interested in? Do they use Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or LinkedIn?
Below is an example of a travel business advertising a beach cottage in Portugal. A travel business will have a huge presence on Pinterest and Instagram.
How Will Marketing Help You Achieve Your Goals?
As you have seen from the figures above, there are literally millions of people online at any moment that you can specifically target. By targeting your audience you will :
- Increase traffic to your website.
- Build conversions, in other words convert visitors into leads or preferably customers.
- Raise your brand awareness.
- Improve interaction within your audience therefore increasing site awareness.
The more engagement you achieve with your audience, the more likely you are to succeed in your marketing goals.
Social Media Marketing Tips
Once you start on a campaign you need to keep it fluid and flowing. It is not a case of starting and stopping, you must keep it going to keep your audience interested. Here are my best social marketing tips:
- Amazing Social Content – Consistency is of the utmost importance. Without content, you will not succeed. As the saying goes, “content reigns”. You must post regularly and ensure your posts are interesting, helpful and even colourful. Images, and videos improve your rankings tenfold.
- A Consistant Brand Image – If you are using a mixture of social media platforms ensure your core identity is the same. Your viewers / audience will need to see you on the different platforms and will want to recognise your brand and image straight away. Keep your front pages and logo the same. Don’t chop and change them as this can cause confusion and loss of visitors / regulars.
- Track Your Competitors – Keep an eye on your competition. If your niche is successful elsewhere on another platform then re-think your strategy and consider going down the same road as your competitor.
- Planning – As highlighted before, plan your strategy. Do not act like a bull in a china shop posting and blogging everywhere in the hope of a sale. This will not work. Clear concise and well thought through is the only way.
- Training – Build your website with the help of professionals. Wealthy Affiliate provides you with all the tools to build a website from scratch. Read my full Wealthy Affiliate review here. The training provided takes you through the following steps:
- Getting Started – Understanding how to make money online, choosing your niche market, building your niche website, setting up your website, setting your site up for search engines, creating content, creating custom menus and understanding keywords.
- Building Your Own Traffic Producing Website – Owning your own domain and brand, creating keyword rich content, setting up a domain specific Email account, traffic breakdown, making use of visuals, understanding the “low hanging fruit”, making face as a real person and amplifying your productivity.
- Making Money – Understanding the MONEY in Online Business, understanding affiliate programs and networks, relevant affiliate programs are everywhere, adding affiliate links to your pages, instant access to MILLIONS of products, leveraging product reviews, getting paid for ads on your site, earning pennies or pounds / dollars, a brilliant way to track and understand that with help comes financial success.
- Mastering Social Engagement – Below is a screen shot from the Wealthy Affiliate training. This is part of the Online Entrepreneur Certification The Online Entrepreneur Certification (OEC) training is a 5 phase (50 lesson) series of courses walking you through the process of creating and growing a business within absolutely ANY niche that you want. This section completely covers how to use social media in marketing.
- Achieving Maximum Success Through Content Creation– Content is YOUR business, setting up google webmaster tools, improving indexing times and speeds, people need to read your content, a year is a short time, writing within a devised plan architecture, writing your content with conversion intent, injecting comments with intent Bing and Yahoo, they are still the 33% and articulating a plan for the future….Click on the link below to check it out.
- Measuring Success with Analytics – Google analytics is a great way to assess how well your website is doing in terms of visitors and ranking. With the data you receive you can adjust your market to the best trends. Facebook also has a fantastic analytics platform for its business users as do other media platforms. If you have an Affiliate website and you are using Amazon then they also provide all the information necessary to tweak your campaign.
Below are examples of Amazon’s Affiliate Analytics. This shows you how many clicks you have had on your website, your earnings and ordered items.
If you are aiming to improve your business, website or blog page, there is a massive need for social media marketing. Not only will this give you more leverage against your competition, this will make a huge difference to your online visitor community.
I hope you have found this post interesting. Later we shall be looking at the “Best Social Media Platforms For Business“.
Please feel free to add any comments.